|Date Posted||June 21, 2022|
|Industry||Private Sector BioStat Jobs|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
The mission of the Allen Institute is to unlock the complexities of bioscience and advance our knowledge to improve human health. Using an open science, multi-scale, team-oriented approach, the Allen Institute focuses on accelerating foundational research, developing standards and models, and cultivating new ideas to make a broad, transformational impact on science.
The mission of the Allen Institute for Immunology is to advance the fundamental understanding of human immunology through the study of immune health and diseases where excessive or impaired immune responses drive pathological processes. The Institute will employ a multi-disciplinary team approach in collaboration with academic centers of human immunology to generate novel mechanistic insights into the immune synapse in health and in diseases such as autoimmunity or oncology. The Institute will simultaneously provide a foundational data set and tools for future immunological research as well as a novel collaboration portal for the broader scientific community.
The Allen Institute for Immunology is seeking an outstanding Biostatistician to act as the co-lead expert in the statistical design and analysis of diverse clinical, immunologic, and molecular data. Reporting to the Director of Informatics & Computational Biology at the Allen Institute for Immunology, the ideal candidate is a self-motivated team player who can work closely with experimentalists and bioinformaticians to develop new algorithms for analyzing omics data, develop and execute statistical analysis plans for clinical studies, and provide solid statistical support to Institute research projects.
The Allen Institute believes that team science significantly benefits from the participation of diverse voices, experiences and backgrounds. High-quality science can only be produced when it includes different perspectives. We are committed to increasing diversity across every team and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for this role.
- Serve as statistical co-lead on Institute studies and projects
- Analyze diverse clinical, immunologic, and molecular data
- Develop novel algorithms to analyze single-cell omics data
- Develop and execute statistical analysis plans for clinical studies, including power analysis/sample size calculations
- Provide solid support to experimentalists and bioinformaticians on experiment design, data analysis and statistical inference
- Participate in cross-functional collaborations and meetings as lead statistics expert
- Write, or contribute to, reports, research papers, patents, and other documents
- Update bioinformatics team of new statistical methods related to our research
Required Education and Experience
- PhD degree or equivalent combination of degree and experience
- 8 years of equivalent experience
Required years of experience by level
- I: Minimum 0+ years of post-PhD experience or minimum 3+ years of relevant post-MS experience
- II: Minimum 3+ years of post-Ph.D. experience
- III: Minimum 5+ years of post-Ph.D. experience
- Sr: Minimum 8+ years of post-Ph.D. experience
- 10+ years of hands-on experience analyzing high throughput omics data, developing statistical analysis plans, and designing clinical studies and/or complex multi-assay experiments
- Track record of developing new algorithms for analyzing omics data and deep understanding of methodologies underlying popular tools in the field
- Fluency in R, or other statistical computing languages
- Demonstrated ability to track and meet goals and milestones across multiple projects
- Familiar with single-cell technologies and literature
- Experience in integrative analysis of multiple data modalities
- Experience in data visualization, dimensionality reduction and related methods
- Experience in molecular biology, high-throughput technologies, and immunology
- Experience working with outside collaborators to achieve defined objectives
- Working knowledge of Linux operation system, shell scripting, cloud computing, and version control systems such as Git Excellent written and verbal communication skills and organizational skills
- Able to work independently as well as in a collaborative high paced environment
- The successful candidate must be self-motivated, a team player, attentive to details, and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Open office seating
- May enter laboratory environment, including potential exposure to lasers, biohazards
- Fine motor movements in fingers/hands to operate computers and other office equipment; lab equipment
- Working at a computer and using a mouse for extended periods of time
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required
- This role is currently able to work both remotely and onsite in a hybrid work environment. We are a Washington State employer, and the primary work location for all Allen Institute employees is 615 Westlake Ave N.; any remote work must be performed in Washington State.
- Occasional travel may be required
- Attendance and participation in national and international conferences may be required
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- In keeping with our focus on employee safety, all employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. All employees will be required to keep their vaccination status up to date according to CDC guidance.
- **Please note, this opportunity offers work visa sponsorship**
- **Please note, this opportunity offers relocation assistance**
It is the policy of the Allen Institute to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the Allen Institute will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.