Durham, North Carolina
|Date Posted||May 17, 2023|
Requisition Number: 231054
Regular or Temporary: Regular
Durham, NC, US, 27710
Personnel Area: MEDICAL CENTER
Date: May 11, 2023
School of Medicine Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation's top medical schools. Ranked sixth among medical schools in the nation, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve human health locally and around the globe. Composed of more than 2,500 faculty physicians and researchers, more than 1,300 students, and more than 6,000 staff, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing, Duke University Health System and the Private Diagnostic Clinic (PDC) comprise Duke Health. a world-class academic medical center. The Health System encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
The Department of Family Medicine and Community Health in the Duke University School of Medicine is dedicated to improving the health of people in their communities. Duke Family Medicine and Community Health's diverse group of full-time researchers, as well as clinical faculty, are actively engaged in a wide variety of disciplines with research encompassing a broad collection of clinical, community and population health research programs, drawing on an eclectic set of analytical methods and tools.
This position will help advance quantitative research for the Operation Deep Dive Study. The objective of this study is to understand the context of death by suicide, non-suicidal self-harm, and other causes of premature mortality among former U.S. military service members. This will include understanding what military service characteristics and demographics may be predictive of premature mortality, as well as comparing mortality rates among former service members to national mortality rates.
Execute the statistical needs of assigned projects with guidance from senior team members
- Conduct statistical analysis in SAS, STATA, R, or similar software, import and clean data, and ensure data integrity
- Summarize results in tables and figures
- Select sources of data, evaluate reliability, and interpret resulting conclusions through quantitative statistical analyses
- Provide statistical expertise for internal staff, including developing forms and questionnaires to collect relevant data; offering guidance on quantitative research techniques; and documenting methods and processes for data collection and coding.
- Assist with drafting abstracts and manuscripts, contributing methods sections, and integrating the analytical results with guidance.
- Compose slides for informal and formal presentations and/or support poster development
Evolve with field
- Review literature for relevant software tools and statistical approaches
- Maintain familiarity with outside research, academic and otherwise, in order to select sources of information and specific data.
- Establish and maintain a network of information resources to locate the specific data required.
- Embrace learning-by-doing of new technologies and new methods to analyze different data types
- Be willing to learn new programming languages, and computational environments.
Regulatory, data security, and reproducibility
- Remain abreast of current regulatory standards governing job-related activities
- Follow good programming and analysis practices that ensure reproducibility\
- Adhere to standard operating procedures, regulations, and other requirements that govern statistics and research
- Minimum of one to two years of practical experience beyond their academic program with a Masters.
- PHD will be considered with no additional expereince beyond their academic program.
Education: Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, public policy, public health, statistics, biostatistics, bioinformatics, data science, or a related field.
Experience: Prior contribution to the analysis of research projects, fluency in SAS, STATA, or R
Experience with the processing or analysis of large data is preferred.
Job Code: 00002681 BIOSTATISTICIAN II
Job Level: 74
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secureand welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.